Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

'78 Big Block Resto-Rod

21K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Sregor 
#1 ·
I bought my '78 Vette in June 1985. I drove it as my daily driver for several years.

In 1991, I parked it in my backyard. In 2002, after expanding my garage to 1,200 square feet, it was time to re-build the Vette.

The re-build has been in progress since then. With family finances given other priorities, the Vette got what was left over so the progress has been very slow.

Also, I can't turn down other projects so right now I have a total of seven vehicles! Three of which are considered projects. Other than the Vette, I have a '53 Chevy Wagon that has been in our family since it was bought new.

The other project is a '73 VW Super Beetle. This was my son's first car, but since he now has an '06 Mini Cooper S, the Bug lives in the backyard. I have some bodywork to finish before I put it up for sale.

Back to the Vette, the body has been off the frame since 2003. I am almost finished with welding gussets to the frame and completeing seam welds.

Since I am building this Vette on a limited budget, I bought a wrecked tow truck for the gen 5 big block.

I shop the local Craigslist and swap meets for other parts such as four speed trans and other parts I need for the Vette. Here are a few part I have found over the years for the Vette:

Recently, I extended the body dolly so I can store the frame underneath the Vette.

What's next for the Vette project is to complete the frame welding, coating the frame, then install the suspension. Once this is done, I will be ready to drop the body back on the frame.

Next on the list I am looking for the Vette project is a long L-88 hood, aluminum heads and intake for the big block. Once I get the funds avaialable, I need to take the block to the machine shop to prep it for the build.

See less See more
#4 ·
I asked the same question when I bought it. Apparently they were heading to a wreck and got in a hurry and turned in front of pick up truck. They hit head-on and and both were totaled. Fortunately there was no damage to the drive trane except the radiator.

#9 ·
Slowly but still progressing. I am now working on the suspension mock-up to make sure all of the welding is correct on the frame. Once this is done, I will remove the suspension and coat the frame. So far I have found one spot on the bottom side of the frame that needs a small modification. So glad I decided to mock-up the suspension!!

Once the frame is coated, I will be ready to drop the body back on the frame. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I cant wait to see the progress. :thumbsup: I plan to do the big block in mine just too much else going on at the moment.

#11 ·
Going Big Block has always been a dream of mine. Since I will most likely not be able to afford my dream Vette of a '67 Big Block, I decided to do the next best thing.... make the Vette I have a Big Block!! :thumbsup:

Here is a link to my latest progress: Link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.